Monday, August 2, 2010

Hawaiian Haystacks

I'm WAY overdue in posting some of my favorite recipes of late. I just want to get a few on here for you to enjoy, so they'll have to do without any pictures!

Hawaiian Haystacks were a lifesaver a few weeks after my baby was born. I made the sauce on Sunday, and we ate them all week long!

Sweet and Sour Sauce
2 Tbsp smart balance butter
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups veggie broth
4 1/2 cups pineapple juice
1/4 vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
6 Tbsp. cornstarch

Combine ingredients in sauce pan without heat. Stir until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Heat sauce on high until it boils and thickens. Serve with fresh pineapple, mandarin oranges, olives, coconut, tomatoes, raisins, green onions, celery, chow mein noodles, any other fresh veggies you like, and rice/quinoa.

We all LOVED this meal. My husband would have liked having cheese and chicken on the side, but was actually really satisfied without! My kids liked choosing their own toppings and building their haystacks. The sauce makes a lot, but can easily be frozen for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment