Monday, January 24, 2011

Tostadas!

Refritos ~ from the New Moosewood Cookbook
2 cups dry pinto beans, soaked
2 to 3 Tbs. olive oil
2 cups minced onion
5 to 6 (or even more) medium cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. salt
black pepper
optional: 1 small bell pepper, minced
1. Cook the presoaked beans in plenty of boiling water until very soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion, half the garlic, cumin, and salt. Saute over medium heat about 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Add (or don't add) the optional bell pepper, and saute another 5 minutes. Add remaining garlic; season with black pepper.
3. Turn heat to low, add beans, and mix well. Mash with a fork or a potatoe masher, and cook for just a few minutes more. Serve right away or store in refrigerator or freezer until time to reheat.
Tostadas
Tostada Components:
1. Deep fried tortiallas ~ Fry corn tortillas in hot oil unil crisp. Drain well on paper towels, and serve in a basket.
2. Refritos
3. Accessories: shredded lettuce, minced olives, chopped hardboiled egg, finely shredded cabbage, grated cheese, minced mild chilies, guacamole, chopped tomatoes, sour cream, hot sauce, salsa, olives, cilantro, etc.

My Notes: ~This is my favorite kind of meal because of all the options, the kids pick what they like and leave what they don't and we are all happy!
~ I used pre-fried tostadas, they are cheap and easy, but I want to try frying my own too!
~I used canned pinto beans, I know I'm lazy, but if you do, DON'T ADD THE SALT called for! Mine were too salty.
~ I used my favorite Corn Salsa

Tomatoes 2-4
bunch cilantro
bunch green onions (or less if you don't like that much!)
1 can corn
1 can black eye peas
Good Seasons Italian Mix dressing ~ made with low oil instructions
salt and pepper
jalapeno

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment