Sunday, November 7, 2010

Best Bread Ever! (kandis)

My friend Brita gave me this recipe and I'm addicted--I make 4 loaves each week for my fam... 5 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup canola oil
1 T sea salt
1/4 tsp ascorbic acid (citric acid--you can buy it at 'Kitchen Kneads' on Redwood Rd.)
3 T yeast

Combine above ingredients and let stand until yeast is dissolved and starting to rise.

Add 11-12 cups whole-grain flour of your choice.

Knead for 10 minutes

Shape into loaves or buns and place into pans--let rise until double in size.

Bake at 325 for 30-35 minutes until golden on top.

Remove from oven and turn onto cooling racks immediately.

Makes 4 loaves.

My variations:
I like to divide the ingredients equally into two separate bowls and knead different ingredients into the separate flours. Some I've tried and loved:
raisins with pumpkin pie spice (brushed with olive oil/cinnamon/sugar)
dried oregano, garlic salt, cracked pepper (would also make excellent dinner rolls) (brushed with olive oil, cracked pepper, garlic salt)
coconut, pistaccio, honey-roasted sunflower seeds (pulsed in food processor) with either dried blueberries or cranberries and fresh orange zest. (Gotta love that bulk section at Winco!)

After the breads cool, I slice them all, place the loaves in bread bags and freeze two so they stay fresh for later in the week...
I love this recipe because I only use my hands:) I feel like a pioneer, and my boys like to beat the heck out of the dough (and get flour all over my kitchen:)

No comments:

Post a Comment