Sunday, April 11, 2010

Israeli Moroccan Couscous (R)

I found the recipe for Israeli Moroccan Couscous here.

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 onion, diced, 3 cups vegetable broth, 2 carrots, peeled and julienned, 2 turnips, peeled and julienned, 1 sweet potato, julienned, 1 zucchini, julienned, 1 red bell pepper, julienned, 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1 pinch saffron, 1 pinch curry powder, 2 cups uncooked couscous

DIRECTIONS:

First, I chopped the onions, and julienned the veggies (minus the turnips...the ones at the store looked pretty nasty, so I left them out). By the way, a "julienne" (also called a "matchstick") is a type of cut that makes a long, thin strip. You could also just cube the vegetables...you may just have to cook it longer (and they wouldn't look as pretty)!

Next, I poured the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; and sauteed the onion until golden. I poured in some veggie broth, brought it to a boil, then stirred in the carrots and sweet potato. (If I'd used turnips, I would've added them at this point). I reduced the heat, and let these simmer for about 15 minutes.

After some simmering, I added the zucchini, and red bell pepper and simmered for another 20 minutes.

When the veggies were all soft, I stirred in the garbanzo beans, tomato sauce, cinnamon, turmeric, and curry powder. (I ommitted the saffron...I wasn't going to spend $15 for a little jar...I'm not sure what flavor it would have added). I simmered until everything was heated through.

The recipe calls for cooked couscous, but I used cooked quinoa instead.

JOE'S GRADE: B

My husband claims that he would never "crave" this dish, but he would definitely eat it again! My kids loved it, and I thought it was great! The sauce was savory, yet sweet. I would love to try it with turnips, and I'm curious what flavor the saffron would add. I loved it with the quinoa, but I'm sure it would also be great on rice or couscous. I will make it again when I'm in the mood for a warm, hearty meal.

2 comments:

  1. do you think I could substitute white or black beans for the garbanzo beans? Or would that change the flavor too much? (If you find more recipes with 'saffron' that we can try--I'll split it with you...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think any variety of beans would be good...any maybe even better. Garbanzo beans are more noticeable to me than other white beans...harder and crunchier, so Great Northern Beans might be better!

    ReplyDelete