Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Zucchini Herb Casserole

(before the cheese)

I'm always looking for a good zucchini recipe since we produce BUCKETS of it!! So I found this one on http://www.allrecipes.com/ but modified it to make it delicious!

Zucchini Herb Casserole

1 cup uncooked brown rice (the browner the better I say when it comes to grains)

vegetable broth (if you want your rice cooked in it, yummy flavor!)

2 Tablespoons EVOO - extra virgin olive oil

1 1/2 lbs. zucchini, cubed

1 green pepper, diced

1 cup sliced green onions

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 1/2 tsp. garlic salt

1 tsp. basil

1 tsp. sweet paprika

1 tsp. dried oregano

1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes (I used canned diced tomatoes, could use any kind)

1/2 - 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Cook the rice according to directions (use vegetable broth in place of water if you want). Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini slightly then add the green pepper, green onion and garlic another 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano. Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and cheese. Continue to cook until heated through. Transfer to casserole dish.
Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Notes: So really I didn't mix the cheese in, I was short on time so I did everything else and put the cheese on top to melt (no cheese is fine too) while it was still in the skillet and then served it straight from there. Although I do think it would be that much better to let all the flavors combine while in the oven.

This is a great dish to take out or put in anything you want. I put in more vegetables, rice and spices, and did less cheese than the original recipe called for. You can too!! I think some onion, red pepper, yellow squash or even lentils, couscous or quinoa would be great!! Have fun with this creation.

Quote from my hubby, "When we eat stuff like this I don't even miss meat."
HALLELUJAH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment