Monday, April 12, 2010

Vegan Waffles (R)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups soymilk (I used ricemilk)
1/4 cup canola oil
3 Tbsp. brown sugar

First, I sifted the dry ingredients.

Next, I mixed the rice milk, oil, and brown sugar. I poured this into the flour mixture.

I stirred everything until just blended (leaving it a bit lumpy).

I sprayed the waffle iron with cooking spray (and sprayed it after EACH waffle...very important!)

I poured some mixture onto the iron, added some frozen blueberries,

let it cook for a few minutes, then topped each waffle with some pure maple syrup and fresh strawberries and pineapples. (And was too busy eating to take a picture of the end result!)

JOE'S GRADE: A-

These were so good! My husband actually preferred them to my non-vegan waffles. They were moist, had the perfect touch of sweetness from the ricemilk and brown sugar (I made these another time and used 2 Tbsp of agave nectar instead of the sugar...they were still awesome! You could also use a touch of stevia...). I loved the blueberries and fresh fruit!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love experimenting with waffles. We do zuchinni waffles - which are very similar to your recipe. Oat flour are kefir are also FANTASTIC substitutes if you are looking for a little variety. The kefir, we have found, makes the waffle very moist, and makes the waffle rise better. As an addendum to my earlier comment about kefir - I bet you could easily use rice milk or almond milk as well.

    ReplyDelete